Thursday, June 13, 2013

To Choose or Not to Choose... that is the question

So I am going to have to be really honest and say that I have FAILED my 30 day no-treats-challenge. It is so hard! (For me because I have zero self control). But I realized that maybe I should be focusing on what I CAN do instead of forcing myself to do something so hard for me.

So here it is: my new and improved veggie challenge! I absolutely love veggies so this should not really be a challenge but more of a reminder. I need to be healthy so I will fill my body with yummy veggies so I will have less room (and guilt) if I sneak a few yummy treats now and then.

So today I was looking up tons of websites to help find fun and creative ways to fill myself with veggies. I am pretty good at eating the normal corn, beans, peas, carrots, etc. But I want to be a little more creative to add flavor and nutrients.  I found some pretty sweet stuff:


But I really found a lot of fun ideas. I really want to get good at adding vegetable purees, I think it is such a brilliant idea. Luckily Jon is a good sport and puts up with my "experimental cooking." Hopefully by the time I am a mama I will have mastered the art of being a professional veggie-sneaker-inner. 

Collard Greens 
Good sources of vitamin C and soluble fiber, and contain multiple nutrients with potent anticancer properties.
Roughly a quarter pound (approx. 100 g) of cooked collards contains 46 Calories.
Interesting fact: Collard greens are also a high source of vitamin K (the clotting vitamin) and should be eaten in moderation by individuals taking blood thinners.

Kale
Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium

Beets
Beetroot is a rich source of potent antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, sodium, potassium and vitamin C.
These are potent dudes, and apparently extremely good for you. A lot of websites suggest juicing them... I will have to try that out with my handy juicer. It would probably taste a lot better mixed with other juices. 


Turnips
The turnip's root is high in vitamin C. The green leaves of the turnip top ("turnip greens") are a good source of vitamin A, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium.
Apparently they can be pretty bitter, but don't chop off the greens cause they are loaded with good stuff

Jicama
Sorry I ran out of time to look up cool stuff, but all I know is that these are yummy! It tastes like a snap pea, but with the texture and crunch of an apple. Great for a raw snack :) 

Eggplant
It is actually pretty good. I don't have too much experience with it, but I remember the texture being somewhat like a zucchini... 

Sweet Potatoes
Jonny loves to make fries so we need to try to make these next time. Yum right? 

Well wish me luck on my veggie adventure. I will post yummy recipes for the things that turn out :) 


1 comment:

  1. VEGGIE sneaker-inner :) I like it! You're going to have to teach me!

    ReplyDelete